Sunday, December 28, 2008








This is milestone posting with 100 hours of work accomplished. At this point, the wings are ready for their inboard and outboard top skins to be riveted.










According to Vans, with a 600 to 900 hour assembly time, I am now either 1/6th or 1/9th of my way to completion.



A few mistakes have been made and three rivets will have to be drilled out and replaced but removal of the pulled rivets is very easy.


I have a recurrence of carpel tunnel irritation so I purchased a pneumatic cleco gun. I would recommend it to anyone simply because it is so much faster to install and remove clecos. I also purchased a Ryobi 4 Volt nut driver and turned an adaptor for the deburring of holes. That also relieves excessive wrist motion. The nut driver turns at 150 rpm and has Li-ion batteries and holds a charge for a long time.



After installing the hinge brackets for the flaperons, one of my fellow EAA members asked how would I know if they are aligned properly. I came up with a laser mounted on a camera tripod and focused the laser beam through the holes in the hinge brackets. I figured that if the laser beam goes through all of the brackets and shows up on the far garage door, then the bracket holes are in line. I gauged both wings and they seemed to be aligned properly.








Currently I am at a build time of 113 hours. It just took me this long to update the blog.







No comments: